Monday, August 1, 2011

Reflections and Grayslake Race Report:


2011 Grayslake CAT 3 Elite
Reflections:

Two years ago last Saturday I turned my first pedal in bike racing anger on the neighborhood streets of Grayslake, IL. Since that time I have progressed thru a few racing categories, two bikes, a couple sets of wheels, helmets, kits, tires, and countless jars of shammy cream.

Even my body has changed since this addiction began, my arms have shrunk, my legs have grown, and I no longer buy pants that fit my waist but that first fit over my calves and thighs, which means I have a nice collection of belts, fellow riders you know what I’m talking about.    

Another profound observation of cycling unique to all other sports I have participated in is that becoming a competitive cyclist was not just a team I joined or a schedule I committed to or a pair of soccer cleats I purchased. Cycling has truly become a part of me and who I am, aside from God, wife, family and sometimes work cycling is at the forefront of my mind. I think that’s what truly attracts me to cycling, you can’t just pick up and put down cycling as you please from time to time and expect to be any good. It takes time; even years to adapt your body and mind in a way that primes you for racing.

I will be the first to tell you that I am just scratching the surface of true bike racing, I have been fortunate to find success in the lower ranks of cycling. I received an early upgrade as a CAT 5, CAT4 yielded two state championships and now a full season in CAT3 has me poised Lord willing for a CAT2 upgrade by the end of the season.  

It’s been in the 2nd half of this season where I have realized that fitness will only get you so far and I am sorely deficient in a couple key areas crucial to excelling at the next level. I have no doubt that I can hang onto the Pro 1/2 pack for most races but I dint start racing my bike to just “hang on” to the back of the pack, I started racing my bike to win. Thus I am hoping that in the next few seasons I can continue to put together the pieces needed to be competitive at the next level.     


Race Report:

The Grayslake course runs through the Prairie Crossing neighborhood in the northern suburbs of Chicago. This is a flat course with mostly sweeping turns and a chicane placed between two 90 degree turns on the back side. I was happy to hear that “day of” registration was strong and we would be looking at around 30+ starters for the Elite 3 race. The whistle sounded and off the line I found myself glued to Ryan Fay’s wheel (IL State Crit Champ) for the first two laps. The pace backed off a bit and the two of us receded back into the top ten wheels or so. The first half of the race I was concerned about possible breakaways and made sure I stayed within responding distance of the front in case I saw the “right group” take off of the front.

I was fortunate to have two teammates in this race, one got caught behind an early crash and pulled out the other did a great job closing a few gap’s and providing a trustworthy wheel for yours truly to follow.

Before I knew it the lap counter showed 5 laps left in our 40 min race. I couldn’t believe how quickly the race had progressed and how good I was feeling. As things were starting to heat up my remaining team mate had toasted himself on my behalf and it was up to me to maintain a high position.
Bell lap… I was sitting 4th wheel and feeling really good about who I had in front of me, Tim Speciale (jokingly my arch enemy) leading the group and two newer cat 3 riders one being a bicycle heaven rider and then me.

Half lap to go I am starting to plot my positioning for the last two turns that will hopefully put me in prime sprinting position at the finish, my only worry at this point was if the guys in front of my had the gas or were willing to keep the pace high enough to keep the peloton from overtaking us before the last turn.

The next thing I remember is hitting the floor and surfing down the gutter of the back side 90 degree turn dodging bikes and riders that were trying to avoid the mayhem that had just unfolded in front of them.  Just before it all became a blur I remember the bicycle heaven rider who I think was second wheel on the inside line foolishly try and pedal through the apex of the corner at high speed and clip his pedal on the ground.

If you have ever clipped a pedal in a hard corner you will know the result of said action will lift your back wheel off the ground and send it out sideways into anything or anyone besides you and in most cases taking you to the floor very quickly. In this case it was the 3 place rider who caught the brunt of it and then yours truly barreled into both of them. From what I could tell when trying to untangle the wreckage was that my handle bar had gone through the rear wheel of the rider in front of me, hung up, and sent me flying over the top and into the gutter.



I am still a bit surprised at how calm I managed to stay throughout the whole crash. Had you asked me pre-race what I would have done to a rider that caused such an unnecessary crash I can only imagine my level of inappropriate behavior that would have resulted. Nevertheless, that’s racing, and just because I’ve never clipped a pedal or accidentally caused a crash does not mean I won’t or that this rider in any way shape or form intended too.



As a result of the crash I received my very first DNF (did not finish), not happy about that! I also failed to further secure my IL cup lead or gain any more USA cycling upgrade points. 

Congrats to Tim for staying out of trouble and taking the win. 

Taking stock a day later, I have small patch of road rash on my left knee a larger patch on my left forearm, and by far the worst absence of skin on my left hip. As for the bike, the frame seems to be in one piece besides a large chip missing from the dropout, destroyed shifter hoods, bar tape and rear wheel skewer. Throw in a mangled kit and shoe covers, and that’s a pricy crash but it could have been much worse.           

Big thanks to my loving and still freaked out wife Corie and the in-laws for getting me home in one piece and taken care of.

Next up Tour of Elk Grove, and hopefully a product review or two soon after… thanks for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment